What Is The Dukan Diet And Who Follow It
The Dukan Diet is a high protein, low fat, low carb diet. It aims at a healthy eating plan based on proteins and vegetables. Most diets help lose weight and fat fast. But more often than not when you return to your old habits, you gain all that weight back. The Dukan Diet will re-design your eating habits and help you permanently stabilize your weight. And what’s best, you can eat as much as you like in the Dukan Diet.
Although the Dukan Diet does not guarantee or claim results very fast, it does say that if you follow it properly and sincerely, you will surely reach your true weight and you will be able to maintain it for the rest of your life.
Dukan Diet Phases:
Dukan Diet Phase 1:
- The first phase of the Dukan Diet is also known as the attack phase. It consists of pure protein products and helps to kick start your diet. One can eat high protein foods and hence see noticeable weight loss.
- This phase is designed to reduce weight by 2-3 kgs in 2-7 days.
- The main purpose of this phase is to develop good eating habits while battling with the usual hunger issues.
- People using this diet may feel low on energy as sugars are removed from their diet. However, it just takes 2-3 days for a person’s body to adjust, and some even feel more energetic afterward.
- People following the Dukan Diet may face a few problems in this phase, starting with constipation as the diet is low in fibers. Adding oat/ wheat bran to your food will help. Bad breath might also develop, however drinking plenty of water (A MUST) and chewing sugar-free gum will help with the issue of bad breath.
- You should make sure that you keep yourself hydrated and drink plenty of water so that your kidneys are not overloaded due to the high protein diet.
- You can also introduce light exercises, like a brisk walk, into your schedule. Do not introduce heavy exercises.
- Foods allowed in the attack phase are lean beef, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs (up to 2 per day) and sweeteners(not fructose based. No sweets, remember?), vinegar, garlic etc.
- You can shift to the next phase after 5-7 days, irrespective of how much weight you lost or how many days you planned to spend on the attack phase.
Dukan Diet Phase 2:
- This phase of the Dukan Diet known as the cruise phase and this will take you to your true weight. You can gradually lose weight by alternating pure protein days and (protein+vegetables) days.
- This phase continues till you don’t achieve your true weight. It takes approx 3 days to lose 1 pound. If it seems slow as compared to phase 1, think about this-it pays off in the long run, and your body has time to adjust to the changes it is undergoing.
- The cruise phase can be summed as follows:
- 5Pure Protein + 5Protein-Vegetable
This rhythm alternates pure protein and protein+vegetable days every 5 days. However, 5 days is a long time and requires strong determination to follow.
- 1Pure Protein + 1Protein-Vegetable
This rhythm is preferred, as it is similar to 5PP + 5PV one, but is a bit easier on the person dieting.
- 2Pure Protein + 5Protein-Vegetable
This rhythm is preferred for the older people and/or people who are weak and are not having many pounds to lose. The weight loss is a tad slower when compared to the above two methods.
- You can increase your exercise from 20 to 30 minutes now, but keeping exercise light only. Make sure you don’t skip protein on PV days, as it is protein+vegetable, not pure veggies.
- You can consume vegetables like cabbage, cucumber, pumpkins, radish, soya bean, and spinach etc., keeping carrots and beetroot in moderation.
Dukan Diet Phase 3:
- This is the consolidation phase. The consolidation phase is an important phase of the Dukan Diet, and during this phase, the body has the highest tendency to gain back the lost weight.
- This phase is specially designed for the “rebound” effect and re-introduces all forbidden foods, plus 2 “celebration” days per week. This phase follows a strict timeline – 5 days per every pound lost in Phase 2.
- A simple rule is for every pound of weight you lost, you need to follow this phase for 5 days. Lost 10 pounds? Follow this phase for 50 days.
- This phase helps you get back to healthy and controlled eating. You can have 1 piece of fruit (except bananas, cherries, and dried fruit), 2 pieces of wholegrain bread/day, 40 gm of cheese a day (forget goat cheeses. Cheddar and Swiss cheese will be great), 2 portions of starchy products a week (like pasta. No white rice and potatoes), pork and lamb.
- While celebrating, make sure you don’t have more than 1 serving, as it is about taste, not over-indulging. Your 2 celebration days must have at least a gap of a day or two, and if possible, prepare your meal at home.
- Make sure you don’t forget to eat protein on 1 day of the week when you can have all the meals you had in phase 1.
Dukan Diet Phase 4:
This is the permanent stabilization process and continues for the rest of our life. It has three very simple rules which one must follow:
- Consume 3 tablespoons of wheat bran per day- It helps to make you feel more fuller, and aids in digestion.
- Be active- Dump the elevator, take the stairs. Walk to the grocery store, dump the car. Get up and walk instead of rolling on the wheels of your chair.
- Have one pure-protein (refer phase1) day per week- This will remind you of the efforts that went into losing your weight. Stick to one day only, and don’t keep changing it every week.
The inventor of Dukan Diet- Dr. Pierre Dukan
Dr. Pierre Dukan invented the Dukan Diet
The Dukan Diet is one of the most popular diet plans in France and was designed by Dr. Pierre Dukan. Although he has been promoting the Dukan Diet for over 30 years, its popularity has grown since 2000, and his book “The Dukan Diet” has sold over 10 million copies globally.
Dr. Dukan was in the news recently when his license is in threat of being canceled after reports that he advised unhealthy eating habits to youngsters.
Kate Middleton, Gisele Bundchen, Jennifer Lopez all have followed the Dukan Diet
Supermodel Gisele Bundchen
Kate and her mother Carole followed the Dukan Diet before her wedding in 2011